10.08.2008

Homemade Yogurt Works for Me


We love some yogurt around here. We can consume a quart of yogurt in about two days, which means we go through the stuff. I love to feed my children healthy, nutritious food. The price of organic or even 'all natural' yogurt is considerably more expensive than the cheap stuff, but they add so much preservatives, color, etc. to it. I did a little research and it turns out making yogurt is quite simple. All you need is milk and a bit of plain yogurt. I boil the milk first to remove any bad bacteria. Once it cools to about 100 degrees, I mix in the plain yogurt and it sits on my counter overnight. I let it rest about 24 hours. The longer it sits, the more tart and thicker it becomes. Occasionally we add fresh fruit or honey, but that is it! Sugar free, dye free, preservative free yogurty goodness! Not to mention the beautifully beneficial bacteria... It works for us! To see more Works for Me Wednesday posts, check out Shannon's blog.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love yogurt! i should try this. cute blog

Linda said...

I have a yogurt maker with six containers and lids. The kids like that because it's like using the individual yogurts you get from the store. I haven't made it in a while, though. Thanks for the reminder to get it out and use it.

Charissa said...

Oh, I'm very excited about this one. What about the refrigeration stuff? I'm thinking that you just refridge to slow the growth once it is the desired thickness. Is that right?

Charlotte said...

Thanks for checking me out and commenting! Yes, after it ferments to the desired thickness, refrigerate to stop the fermentation. Also, reserve some for the next use! I sterilize (boiling water) the container prior to use to discourage bad bacteria or yeast growth. I generally make a quart every other day..