5.25.2009

Grandma story #6

A couple years ago, I was surprised to meet this special lady, and I haven't been able to forget it ever since. I was attending a baby shower for my little sister and I sat down next to a very nice looking lady who I did not know, though she looked friendly enough. She told me her name, and I told her mine. And I asked how it was that she knew my sister. She told me she was part of the family from the hometown, as in the place where I was born, as in part of my biological family, a group of people I was very careful about with whom I spent my time. I had a little heart problem. But, I did NOT know her. A light turned on in my brain. You see, I knew at that moment, she must be the wife of my father, my biological father, who I didn't really want to see, you know, to protect my heart. And since it was not my party, and she was a nice lady, I was friendly, but I really wasn't comfortable.

When I left, she told me, she hoped to see me again one day. Which really reminded me of this other mother I have (which is why I am writing about all these 'grandmas'), but that is another post. And what she said, it really stuck with me. It was a seed that made this year of reunions bloom. I am looking forward to seeing her again, but more than that, I am thrilled to see her man again. That's my Dad!

No comments: